8.20.2008

Independence

New card
With sudden independence comes great responsibility.

I'm learning to embrace the independent lifestyle of the freelancer. It took a while, but I'm starting to open myself to the possibilities. As a fulltimer, routine took over and I would easily lose my focus with the job at hand, thanks to the cushy, steady paycheck, the typical ebb & flow of work, the overall constant of daily tedium. Like a tide that slowly eases in and out, over and over, lulling me into a deep sense of complacency, I found it hard to be on point. Deep down I realized that maybe this wasn't for me. I'm justifying all this, of course. It would be nice to have all the benefits that a fulltime job offers an employee -- makes life easier, right? Yes, of course it does. Who am I kidding?

But now, being on my own, my appreciation for working has vastly increased. With each new job awarded I'm fully awake and alive, attacking whatever project head-on and staying completely focused. Something about the timeframe in between each job that shakes me awake and makes me fully appreciate the fact that someone has given me an opportunity to do something special here. I cherish it like there's no tomorrow. Like it's the only job on earth.

Get the whole set
Collect all 10. Thanks to the fine folks at Moo.

Big thanks to everyone who either commented or emailed me on my last post. It's good to know that there are others out there who are willing to help out, especially when it comes to Flash. I actually have a good lead in learning the program, one that allows me the time to get to know it on my own timeframe. I also checked a book out on learning Flash, which should help me out to a certain degree.

I've been meaning to mention this earlier: I was recently interviewed on Frederator by fellow animator blogger Floyd Bishop. He called me up and we had a grand ol' chat about animation, illustration, and everything in between. Are you into listening to two animation geeks talk shop? Then mosey on down to Frederator Blogs and have a listen!

I miss animating. I haven't worked on my short film since June and I'm deeply feeling the loss. Once the craziness of the next couple of months pass, then I'll happily jump back on it.

10 comments:

  1. hey Ward,

    I'm so glad to hear that the freelance is going well! Not that there was ANY doubt...I'm just happy to check in and see that you're life if bustling with new activity and experience and that things seem to be heading in a great direction. YAY! Good luck and safe travels to Ottawa!
    All best,
    ~paige

    p.s. LOVE that hammock illo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wildbrain is seeking a director.
    I think you might be interested in.
    Check Motionographer's Jobs page;
    http://motionographer.com/jobs/

    _Jun

    ReplyDelete
  3. (^)Yeah, Wildbrain is on the west coast too, which is good. It looks like they're heavy into mograph & 3D, but they could be lenient with your extensive experience.

    Great post, man. It was nice to actually HEAR you talk about your work, after years of reading about it. Nice job on the interview. I liked your discussion of the process - concept development, character design, storyboarding, the rough/gritty stuff - that's my favorite part of work too.

    By the way, since you keep referring to the fact that you need to learn other ways to animate, just some advice (from my own experiences)...
    If you're going to pick up the basics of a 3D program, I'd urge you to get into Cinema 4D (much easier to handle than Maya), or Blender (an opensource 3D software program = free!). I learned C4D pretty quickly just by taking one of my drawings and trying to construct it tri-dimensionally - then referred to the manuals/tutorials as needed along the way. Kind of like on-the-job training - much easier way of understanding it and the tricks stay with you. I think if you could construct just a few models in 3D (and just even animate a finger) and add some of your 2D backgrounds into a 2.5D environment in After Effects, then slap that on your reel, that would go a long way to *at least* indicating to potential employers that you've worked with 3D software (or at least are willing to learn). Don't give up on it man.

    Let us know when we can order our own copy of your portfolio (even if it's just a bus. card + postcards)!

    Keep up the fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude... welcome to my world....
    working for yourself is HARD. HARD i tell ya!!
    but it is also the best.
    check out the freelance switch website, some good stuff on the blog and on the podcasts...
    http://freelanceswitch.com/

    love the interview, listening now.

    and i'm interviewing you too soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ward,
    Glad to hear that work is picking up for in your new life as a freelancer. It's always quite a bump in the road after such a steady stream of fulltime work, especially when we have little people to be responsible for in our lives. It's often suprising what you can turn your hand to when you have talent.
    The cards look great, love the deftly placed thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What HE said! Actually C4D is a great program for getting your feet wet with 3D. I don't like it as much as Lightwave, but it's a good place to start.

    But then, I am an illustrator. What do I know?:)

    Seriously though, awesome work and I look forward to reading/hearing more about this soon!! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...those are handsome cards there! Very nice. I see myself heading over to Moo in the near future!

    Good to hear the new freelance territory is feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been doing it for a long time with a certain number of responsibilities and I can't think of a better position to be in...it's scary but the range of possibilities to grow is much much bigger and the opportunity to work with a variety of people is wonderful to boot...if I hadn't been freelancing for this long I wouldn't've met folks like you:)

    best~JM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely sentiment Ward! I have similar feeling about being a freelancer. I love the independence of it- I just miss being able to eat and sleep with regularity. I'm trucking towards a deadline with my project now, so I'm feeling a bit anxious/nauseous... But anyhow, I'm glad to know you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moo! You got Moo cards, sweet. I grabbed the half-size longish cards the other day, very cool.

    All the best with the new endeavors, though, good for you.

    ReplyDelete